Meeting Notes Feb 20

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Fri Feb 20 06:22:51 EST 2015

On 2015-02-20 12:00, Matt wrote:
> On 20/02/15 10:25, Robert Norris wrote:
>> I'm happy to help out with infrastructure support and other random
>> tech crap if necessary - especially for the busy programmers and
>> documenters and testers that have better things to do that figuring
>> out how to install random $server. Just yell on this list or privately
>> or in #cyrus or whatever. Bron, you own my time anyway, so volunteer
>> me for stuff if you like :)
>>

> I have a DevOps background, so I can do infrastructure stuff and code
> stuff as well; between Rob and myself we could make reasonably sure
> there is someone available at most times (I'm in the UK so we'd have
> most of the clock covered).

This sort of builds like a team, and every team needs one throat to
choke -- pardon my French -- and of course some consensus on what is a
standard install vs. the odd ones out.

I've proposed some tooling around Cyrus IMAP and Cyrus SASL development
that we're going to try and test to see if it would work for the
development process we're employing. Whether or not it is going to be
Phabricator notwithstanding, others use this for their operations as
well, the tooling chosen preferably includes the ops team, right?

Steering an environment from within some source code management system
seems to imply a level of configuration management. I myself am a
particular fan of Puppet, but I can see it disappear in the (near)
future, and it is likely already surpassed by (at least) Ansible.

Then of course there is always the question of the favorite distro to
make the de-facto standard.

I do not want to start a discussion on these (often controversial)
topics, but I do want to suggest that the aforementioned throat to choke
sets the tone ;-)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--