cyrus-imapd 3.0.0 next beta and release plan?

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Tue Dec 29 14:38:37 EST 2015

Hi Ken,

Am 29.12.2015 um 16:32 schrieb Ken Murchison:
> If all that can be done safely in the signal handler is setting a global variable,
> I might just scrap the heartbeat functionality. The alternative is that the actual method processin
> code will have periodically check the status of the global variable.  Or do you have a more creative idea?

checking a global variable is how it's done usually. Or if the HTTP server
is using some kind of event driven framework, set up a timer instead of SIGARLM.

On linux there's signalfd(), but that's non-portable, so a no no for cyrus.

The global variable should be of type "volatile sig_atomic_t".

Random side note: What was the main motivation for implementing
an own HTTP server including authentication stuff / chunked encoding etc?

Was implementing an Apache httpd module in C considered without
redoing the whole HTTP protocol layer? Just wondering,
we are doing our stuff at dayjob as a C++ apache module.
You just register a handler for URIs / mime-types you are interested in.

Other HTTP server like ngix would probably work, too.

Cheers,
Thomas