Update to Murder docs (D69) and question on style.

Nicola Nye nicolan at fastmail.com
Thu Aug 20 21:31:03 EDT 2015

Hi Nic,

Your edits make sense. Go ahead and land them. Thanks for the extra
information!

Third person. That is definitely the goal for the reference docs, though
I did stick deliberately with the second person for the install guides.

Terms: tldr - let's use "frontend" and "backend".

>From the point of view of word nerds, both terms started off either with
a space or a hyphen but are graduating towards dropping the split and
forming a single word. Using google trends to examine current typical
usage shows that "backend" is comfortably established, while "frontend"
and "front end" are about equal. In the interests of consistency (as I
don't have a strong preference either), I figure let's use backend and
frontend. I'll make that change today unless anyone pipes up with a
better idea.

Murderous replication. As far as I can tell, we don't yet have
instructions on configuring replication in a murder environment
anywhere. Once I convince someone to write them (*Ken, I'm looking at
you!*), I can look at where they'll best fit. It may end up in a
separate document and I'll just cross-link from both sides.

Nicola

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015, at 05:38 AM, Nic Bernstein wrote:
> Nicola,

    I've edited your recent commit of Murder docs, and added some stuff
    therein.  Please take a look at D69 and send me any feedback.  If
    you've not got a problem with it, then one or the other of us should
    land it.  Just let me know.

    Based on your commit comment recently, something like "Rewording
    install guide to  third person." I've been trying to do the same for
    the reference  docs we're preparing.  Was this your intent, too; to
    aim for third  person for all docs?  I'd like to see that, although
    I'll admit  that there are times where second person allows for more
    expeditious conveyance of information.  Whatever you think is  best,
    I'll gladly follow.

      Similarly, we have a mix of, for example, "frontend" and
      "front end" in the Murder docs.  I think we should
      standardize, but have no strong preference as to which is
      better.  The former seems to better serve as a noun, but the
      latter lends itself to list usages, such as "both front and
      back ends should have ``servername`` set..."  Again, you lead,
      I'll follow.  But whatever the decision is, let's effect a
      bulk replace to cope with it.

      Lastly, Ellie had suggested, in IRC:
>> i'm thinking, maybe the murder docs should include
      specifics on replication in a murder environment (assuming you
      probably want the one if you've got the other), and the replication-
      only doc should just be like "if you're using a murder, see the
      other doc instead"
> Given the current state of
      both documents, which is quite different than that Ellie was
      commenting upon, do we still think this would be a Good
      Thing®? I'm ambivalent, but will be glad to do whatever needs
      doing for this.

      Your thoughts?  Anyone else (there's a reason this is posted to
      the list, too)?

      Cheers,

      -nic
> --