Update to Murder docs (D69) and question on style.

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Thu Aug 20 15:38:28 EDT 2015

Nicola,
I've edited your recent commit of Murder docs, and added some stuff
therein.  Please take a look at D69 and send me any feedback.  If you've
not got a problem with it, then one or the other of us should land it.
Just let me know.

Based on your commit comment recently, something like "Rewording install
guide to third person." I've been trying to do the same for the
reference docs we're preparing.  Was this your intent, too; to aim for
third person for all docs?  I'd like to see that, although I'll admit
that there are times where second person allows for more expeditious
conveyance of information.  Whatever you think is best, I'll gladly follow.

Similarly, we have a mix of, for example, "frontend" and "front end" in
the Murder docs.  I think we should standardize, but have no strong
preference as to which is better.  The former seems to better serve as a
noun, but the latter lends itself to list usages, such as "both front
and back ends should have ``servername`` set..."  Again, you lead, I'll
follow.  But whatever the decision is, let's effect a bulk replace to
cope with it.

Lastly, Ellie had suggested, in IRC:

    i'm thinking, maybe the murder docs should include specifics on
    replication in a murder environment (assuming you probably want the
    one if you've got the other), and the replication-only doc should
    just be like "if you're using a murder, see the other doc instead"

Given the current state of both documents, which is quite different than
that Ellie was commenting upon, do we still think this would be a Good
Thing®? I'm ambivalent, but will be glad to do whatever needs doing for
this.

Your thoughts?  Anyone else (there's a reason this is posted to the
list, too)?

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight, Inc.                             www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Road, Suite 24           v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073