Preparation for the Cyrus 2.5 release

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Thu Oct 23 09:41:00 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 07:17:38AM -0400, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014, at 05:13 AM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > Hi Bron,
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 22, 2014, at 22:53, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > > Our goal is to release a pretty-much feature complete alpha this week,
> > > and ask everyone to test it soon.  We would like to have 2.5 ready for
> > > inclusion in Debian Jessie, hence the time pressure.
> >
> > the Debian Jessie freeze is going to happen on November 5th[1] and the
> > migration time from unstable to testing is now 10 days.
> >
> > That basically means unless you have a final 2.5 (or at least some
> > RC[2]) at the end of the week (26th October), it's not going to be
> > included in Jessie.
>
> OK - thanks.  This is largely my fault for leaving everything so long.  Busy lifestyle :(
>
> > I don't see that as a big problem, since we can easily provide a 2.5 in
> > debian-backports and the Ken's version I have in unstable seems to be
> > pretty stable.
> >
> > 1. https://release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html
> > 2. I can push smaller changes via stable-package-update, but that means
> > those changes needs to be small and isolated enough.
>
> Everything that's in the tree is pretty close to RC state (except it doesn't build without --http yet, I'm nearly done with the #ifdefs for that).  The big things I want in, which aren't in yet, are sync and XFER related.
>
> The nice thing is that the upgrade from 2.4 is pretty painless.
>
> Bron.
>
> --
>   Bron Gondwana
>   brong at fastmail.fm

Hi Bron,

I do not know if it is still in the running, but having a way to upgrade from
2.3.x to 2.5 without the tremendous I/O storm caused by the mailbox format
conversions which will basically shutdown the mail servers, would be great.
Originally you had thought that 2.5 would be able to replicate to a 2.3
cyrus which would allow the replica to be upgraded first, then failover to
it and upgrade the other 2.3. This keeps the upgrade I/O on the backup system
where it can be managed. There were also discussions about having it support
the older mailbox formats so the upgrade to the new format could be managed
and not required.

Regards,
Ken (still stuck on 2.3)