Issues with 2.4.17-beta9 & beta10 on OSX

Marty Lee marty at maui-systems.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 03:33:32 EDT 2014

On 7 Oct 2014, at 19:02, Marty Lee <marty at maui-systems.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there, after many months of using 2.4.17-beta9 without any issues, I’ve started
> to see errors in the logs on the server recently, so I’m guessing an Apple update
> has affected something - bet that’s your favourite!
>
> Server is a Solaris 10 box running 2.4.17-beta9; error is when an OSX client uses
> ‘Contacts’ to get to CardDAV, the OSX box returns a message:
>
> The operation couldn’t be completed. (CoreDAVHTTPStatusErrorDomain error 502.)
>
> On the server,
>
> Oct  7 18:56:14 coll master[26892]: [ID 970914 local6.error] process 2570 exited, signaled to death by 11
>
> so something is segfaulting and crashing. It’s only the OSX clients that are having
> problems- the iOS clients (iPhones/iPads) are fine.

Ok, so this turned out to be someone adding an entry into Contacts which just
had a company name - no first or surname. Once that entry was removed, Contacts
continued as it had done previously, and now talks to CardDAV in Cyrus again.
Will have a look at the code- that one should be pretty easy to find, as I’m
guessing there was an assumption that there would always be a name in the
CardDAV entry.

> After seeing there is now a ‘beta10’ available, I quickly compiled it up and uploaded
> it to see if it would just fix the problem.
>
> Error message on the OSX client changes to:
>
> The operation couldn’t be completed. (CoreDAVHTTPStatusErrorDomain error 405.)
>
> but along with errors from ‘Contacts’, now OSX ‘Calendar’ no longer likes
> to connect, complaining about errors in the principal name, so I quickly
> rolled the server back to beta9.
>
> eMail through this seems to be fine; although the web interface to calendar
> (agentdav) also broke when I switched to beta10, which makes me think I’ve
> missed something more fundamental in the upgrade.
>
> Had a quick look at the doc/install-upgrade.html file, but there doesn’t
> seem to be anything that I needed to do when moving from beta9 to beta10
> in terms of changing configs or principal names changing, hence this email.
>
> Logging bugs against beta9 seems pointless as you’ve got a beta10 now,
> so before I log something against that, is there anyone who has been using
> OSX 10.9.5 against a beta10 system (calendar & contacts)?

I’ll set up a test server with beta10 should anyone have any ideas on
what else might need changed or fixed.

-----
Marty Lee                         e: marty at maui-systems.co.uk