Mailbox URI format in Event Notifications

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 5 10:03:50 EST 2014

On 2014-11-05 15:16, Sébastien Michel wrote:
>> For those of you using event notifications, I'm wondering how you make
>> other software interpret these things -- our "other"software looks at
>> everything from the administrative  perspective, and so we'd opt for a
>> format of imap://imap.example.org/user/jane@example.org -- but I'm
>> suspecting this may have implications I'm unaware of.
>
> Not sure that 'imap://imap.example.org/user/jane@example.org' is right
> because the format defined in the RFC 5092 - IMAP URL :

>>             The <iserver> component common to all types of absolute
>> IMAP URLs has
>>                             the following syntax expressed in ABNF
>> [ABNF]: [iuserinfo "@"] host [ ":" port ]

If I understand this correctly, the uri here then is defined to have to
be a uri that a client could interpret and follow and end up OK with?

This makes me wonder why it would be the mailbox owner being in the spot
of <iuserinfo>, because imap://jane@imap.example.org/Other Users/jane
will not likely be understood correctly by clients -- as "jane", "Other
Users/jane" will not exist. As not jane, the notification is not
necessarily invalid nor irrelevant.

Neither would, I suppose, imap://jane@imap.example.org/INBOX make all
that much sense -- not unless a client is taught to understand "jane@'s
INBOX is Other Users/jane".

The jane@ part should go away or be substituted for the actual user that
had the perspective of Jane's INBOX being at "Other Users/jane" when
triggering the event notification.

> If user john is doing something to a user jane mailbox, the
> notification should contain the user john in the field "user" and the
> URI imap://jane@imap.example.org/INBOX in the fields "uri" and
> "mailboxID". This is how I understand the RFC 5423.

Many of the event notifications have turned out to not contain the
"user" triggering the event at all, and I suppose I'll need to
double-check if it is in fact the authenticated user id being used, or
the mailbox owner.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--