nntptest little issue !?

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 23 08:56:52 EDT 2013

On 09/14/2013 10:19 PM, Diego Woitasen wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was using nntptest to test a Cyrus NNTP server with Kerberos
> enabled. It didn't work at first because nntptest didn't send the
> initial challenge. I had look at the code and saw that
> sasl_client_start() doesn't return anything because the value of
> sasl_cmd->maxlen is too short. I set it to USHRT_MAX and worked.
>
>   Not sure if there is a good reason to set it to 512 or it's just a simple bug.

Hi Diego,

I believe that its set to 512 because RFC 3977 specifies that NNTP
command lines MUST NOT exceed 512 octets.  Extensions (such as NNTP
AUTH) MAY relax this limit, but I was too lazy to make an exception for
SASL initial responses.  I'd be willing to accept a patch if you can
come up with a reasonable fix.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer