Sharing mailbox between 'login accounts' - i.e. for remote devices...

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Jun 18 09:17:48 EDT 2013

On 06/18/13 11:36 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On our IMAP server we have a shared folder, accessed by a number of
>the IT support team.
>
>At the moment we've setup separate 'unix' accounts for these people -
>e.g. 'tech1', 'tech2', 'tech3' - and then given them rights to the
>mailbox 'technical'.
>
>However, this means they all technically have their own mailboxes
>(tech1, tech2 etc.)
>
>Is there anyway of 'attaching' more than 1 login credential (i.e.
>unix account) to a shared mailbox? - i.e. So that 'tech1' logs in,
>but the system maps them to use the mailbox 'technical', 'tech2' logs
>in - but again the system maps them to the mailbox 'technical'.
>
>The main reason is a number of iDevices and clients don't like having
>the different mailboxes associated with the account - and users have
>to remember to 'drill down' through the hierarchy (if they can even
>see it).
>
>I realise there should probably be a way of doing this on the clients
>(i.e. when you log in, look 'here' for your mailbox) - but that
>doesn't seem to consistently work across all the clients we use :( -
>It would be a lot simpler to have different usernames/passwords
>associated to a single mailbox.

You can use user canonicalization to do that, using ldapdb (as of Cyrus
SASL version 2.1.25). There is a sql plugin in bugzilla. The function of
user canonicalization is to resolve a login identity to in internal
identity prior to referencing their local mailbox.

Another approach might be to find or modify an imap proxy to perform a
proxy login.

--
Dan White