Expunged mail files left 'on disk'?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Jul 9 20:36:31 EDT 2013

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013, at 11:38 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > >
> > > Back on list - one issue that can cause cleanups to fail on 2.4.x is an
> > > ongoing connection to the mailbox.  If another process is holding the
> > > mailbox name lock, then the cleanup is left for that process to finish
> > > instead.  24x7 connections by an IMAP client can trigger it.
> > >
> > > This is fixed on the master tree by releasing the lock in the imapd
> > > command loop, so it's not maintained by idle connections.  It was a big,
> > > messy change that won't ever be backported though.
> >
> > What's the procedure to recover?  Run reconstruct (which would ressurect the
> > left-over messages) and then delete them?
>
> Actually, reconstruct doesn't do anything about it - it doesn't kill off the
> connections.  The procedure to recover is just to disconnect all clients
> (potentially by restarting the server) and then visit all mailboxes
> (cyr_expire will do that - as will reconstruct.  I would recommend
> reconstruct -s to reduce the IO hit if you go that path)

Can we add support for SIGQUIT for the workers as a "shutdown connection,
clean up and exit", if we don't do that already?  It would make it trivial
to clean up children that lived for too long...  Granted, it would be best
to also add the hability for long-lived children to shutdown after a
configurable number of hours of service.

This should be something less complicated to backport to 2.4...

  Henrique Holschuh