Expunged mail files left 'on disk'?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 9 19:15:28 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013, at 11:38 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jul 2013, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 9, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > > This really SHOULD work - it would be pretty bad if we've broken
> > > expunge, and I'll make it a priority to get a fix for you.
> >
> > Back on list - one issue that can cause cleanups to fail on 2.4.x is an
> > ongoing connection to the mailbox.  If another process is holding the
> > mailbox name lock, then the cleanup is left for that process to finish
> > instead.  24x7 connections by an IMAP client can trigger it.
> >
> > This is fixed on the master tree by releasing the lock in the imapd
> > command loop, so it's not maintained by idle connections.  It was a big,
> > messy change that won't ever be backported though.
>
> What's the procedure to recover?  Run reconstruct (which would ressurect the
> left-over messages) and then delete them?

Actually, reconstruct doesn't do anything about it - it doesn't kill off the
connections.  The procedure to recover is just to disconnect all clients
(potentially by restarting the server) and then visit all mailboxes
(cyr_expire will do that - as will reconstruct.  I would recommend
reconstruct -s to reduce the IO hit if you go that path)

  brong at fastmail.fm