git master notifyd/notify_external.c and *user

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Apr 25 09:32:01 EDT 2013

Hi there,

I was trying to get git master HEAD to execute an external program
(notify_external: /usr/bin/myprogram), but it complained "no recipient
sepcified" - short of the typo that I corrected, it seemed that the
check:

     if (!*user) {
	syslog(LOG_ERR, "ERROR: recipient not specified");
	return strdup("NO external recipient not specified");
     }

at [1] was causing this.

For the sake of argument, I removed the check, and voila - my program
is actually being executed.

Does anyone have any idea what the "-u USER" parameter is supposed to
be doing / does anyone actually successfully use notify_external?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1]