I/O stats for lmtp, imap and pop

Olivier ROLAND cyrus-dev at edla.org
Fri Jan 6 17:42:34 EST 2012

2012/1/6 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:

>>> I can, and would like to, push this out to the
>>> git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd
>>> master branch for inclusion as is in 2.5, if there's no objections.
>>>
>> Just to be clear. The patch has not be modified to use telemetry_rusage()
>> The philosophy of telemetry_rusage seem to be : must be POSIX guaranteed
>>
>> Don't know if we really want specific kernel feature here.
>> But I agree with Wesley too :-)
>>

> Can you then please elaborate?
>
> I see one use of getrusage(), in imap/telemetry.c (line ~107), in the
> function telemetry_rusage(), introduced by Bron Gondwana in June 2010
> (f3d1d19e).
>
> What seems to be the nature of the disagreement?

When I wrote the patch I was not aware of the telemetry code and that
getrusage could also get this data.
Wesley is right, some could see redundancy between my code and telemetry_rusage
but obviously Bron could have get much more data from getrusage() and
voluntarily restrain to POSIX.

To resume :
1) I read /proc/self/io but getrusage() is probably a better way to get the data
2) Potential redundancy with telemetry_rusage

But if Bron is OK with my patch as is, I'm OK too :-)

Regards,
Olivier ROLAND