commit "mboxevent: Rewrite JSON formatting"

Greg Banks gnb at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 24 04:29:15 EDT 2012

Sent from my iPhone

On 16/08/2012, at 0:46, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012, at 01:41 PM, Leena Heino wrote:
>> On 14.8.2012 20:07, Sébastien Michel wrote:
>>> I would say the minimal version of pkg-config.
>>> Indeed, version 0.24 or greater is required in order to avoid the
>>> duplicate AC_SUBST macro calls for PKG_CHECK_MODULES substitutions.
>>> This version is available since May 2010.
>>
>> That requirement would rule out systems like RHEL 5, RHEL 6.
>
> Is this a requirement for build from git only, or a requirement for
> build from theoretical distribution tarballs?
>
> I want the tarballs to build on old machines for sure.

I wouldn't describe RHEL 5 and 6 as "old" yet, their end of production dates are in 2017 and 2020 respectively.

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

Running such systems out to a large fraction of their vendors' nominal production lifespan is a perfectly sensible approach for a site to take, and I don't see a valid reason to exclude such folks from being able to contribute to the project via git as well as just use it. Just because their CIO has a desire for stability does not exclude them from Freedom #1

Sébastien, it might be easiest to copy a recent working version of the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro into cmulocal/ so it works on all current platforms. Assuming of course licencing allows. You may need to rename it to ensure the correct version is used, I'm not sure what the include priority is.

Also, thanks for coming back with the revisions, I really appreciate your efforts. Unfortunately until today I've been up to my ears in fixing Cyrus search and now I'm going on holiday, so I won't be able to give your work the attention it deserves for some time.

Greg.