RSS support in Cyrus

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 19 12:26:03 EDT 2011

Good day,

We've been tasked by our management with providing RSS support in Cyrus.
  Fortunately, the Cyrus httpd server that was recently developed makes
this much less onerous of a task.

The good news is that we're adding a new feature to Cyrus that I think
people will like.  Our motivation is to provide a method by which our
Exchange users may still make use of the many bulletin boards we offer
via our Cyrus IMAP service without the need to configure a separate
client.  Outlook has a perfectly functional RSS reader built in.

The bad news is that we've been given a fairly limited amount of time to
roll this into production here at Carnegie Mellon University, which
means we won't have a ton of time to solicit feedback and share design
ideas with the rest of the Cyrus development community.  Even in
speaking with Bron over IRC, I know there are some things he'd like to
see in our code that will definitely not be there for the initial
roll-out.  I think we can deal with this by getting a barebones
implementation in place for our December production date, and then we
can improve on it over time with community feedback.

The other issue that we need to address is which version this will
ultimately be released with.  It will simplify our work if Ken can
develop for the 2.4 codebase, so that's likely the route we're going to
take.  We don't have CalDAV listed on the roadmap until 2.6, but the RSS
code is based on the work Ken already did for CalDAV support.
Essentially, to make RSS available, we're going to be using an httpd
server that has WebDAV and CalDAV extensions built in. Full calendar
support is not going to be ready by December, 2011 when the RSS code is
ready.  Should this eventually be part of a 2.4.x release?  Should it
wait until 2.5 or 2.6?  Should we (CMU) keep this as a separate branch
for now?

Finally, we need to get this item added to the Cyrus Roadmap.  As a
member of the community at large, I'm proposing that we add RSS support
to Cyrus.  Can we get a vote by the core developers and the governance
board?  Please let me know if this shall be added to the roadmap and if
so, which version we can release it with.

Thanks,

Dave