Cyrus Roadmap [Was Re: Cross-compiling Cyrus in Buildroot]

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 27 12:35:37 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 06:13:25PM +0200, Sébastien Michel wrote:
> Really! I will read deeper the code of the master branch to learn more on
> that :)
> Do you add a new per-user database for ANNOTATE extension or reuse the
> database annotation_db ?

We will be adding a per-user database for ANNOTATE.  Actually, per mailbox
I think.  Greg is working on that right now (well, he's asleep RIGHT NOW,
but he's working on it this week)

> > Cross-folder conversations is very popular. I would be delighted to see
> > master
> > > / master replication in Cyrus. Is there any way to contribute to these
> > > efforts?
> >
> > Sure!  If you have someone who wants to learn about how the replication
> > system works now and what's necessary to get master/master working I
> > would love to chat to them.
>
> There is a nice documentation provided by David Carter to start learning
> about Cyrus replication. Secondly deep into the code should be enough.

It's changed a bit since David wrote it - I integrated it a lot more
closely with the mailbox layer, so that the consistency logic is only
in one place now.

But yes, the code is king :)

> > The main thing isn't mailbox replication, it's side things like sieve
> > script replication, ACLs, etc.  Stuff that doesn't have a history or
> > change number on it at the moment, so you can't reconcile which end is
> > correct if they don't match.
>
> Yes. And another issue is race condition on multi-master

Races are a concern, but hopefully a single user's connections are only
at one end at a time.  At least that's how we're planning to use it,
have users 'mastered' at one end, but just switch the DNS and away you
go - instead of the current need to gate the switchover.

> > Excellent.  I'm sorry I haven't got back to you on your features.  I know
> > you have a lot of interesting things to add, and I'd love to chat to you
> > more about them.  It's good to see other groups than just CMU and FastMail
> > working on Cyrus!
>
> It's OK. Some of us are able to chat on these features.

Excellent :)