[patch] Improved duplicate suppression

Kristóf Katus kristof.katus at intra2net.com
Thu Jul 21 04:10:12 EDT 2011

Hi there,

We do not think that it is worth the effort to fiddle around with the actual
format of the date. If the Date field is already filled in by the client, it can
be in any format, if the client is misbehaving and not using the standard
format. If it is missing, cyrus will fill it in as far as I can see
-- look for the variable char datestr[80] and the rfc822date_gen function call
in imap/lmtpengine.c:savemsg. Btw, there is another function for converting
dates (cyrus_ctime), but it does not seem to play any role in this context.

Regarding the format of the Date field, the following are against to actually
bother about it:
o Date parsing can be expensive
o It is easier to debug after dumping the delivery database, if the dates in
there are already human readable
o You can md5 the dates before storing them, but it is again hard to debug,
and they are originally should not be that long (my assumption: somewhere
between 30 and 80 char length based solely on the cyrus code base)

Note: if date parsing fails, you would have to store something then as well,
e.g. the generated current date.

Anyway, I will fill an issue in the bug tracker.

Kristóf