Universal tool - /usr/bin/cyrus

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Jan 11 12:52:41 EST 2011

Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Ok,
>
> can I get the responses on the mailing list as "yes, we are interested
> in such universal tool in case it keeps backward compatibility and
> switches to cyrus user?".

Yes. ;-)

> What about the name? Is /usr/bin/cyrus good?

/usr/bin/cyrus, /usr/bin/cyrus-tool (as suggested later in this thread) both
seem fine to me.

> In case the answer to both question is "yes" then I'll improve the
> tool to fix those issues mentioned in the mailing list (switching to
> cyrus user, compile time path) and then rewrite the tool into the C
> (so it can call mailbox_reconstruct() and others directly) with
> keeping backwards compatibility (or the usual plan - keep both in one
> major release (2.5.x), print deprecation warnings in next major
> release (2.6.x) and remove them in next+1 major release (2.7.x)).
>
> How does that sound?

I would not bother as much with backwards compatibility unless you want to
(for the mentally challenging aspect of it, for example). To say the least, I
would not consider it a requirement for the tool to be accepted.

While you work on this, may I just bluntly invite you to do so in the upstream
GIT directly? If interested, please send me your SSH public key, and I'll
return with more precise instructions.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--