Cyrus CalDAV design decision

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 23 15:23:43 EDT 2011

On 08/23/2011 02:54 PM, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 August 2011 14.44:46 Dave McMurtrie wrote:
>> At a high level, here are the different ideas we've discussed:
>
> There is actually one additional possibility that has been suggested and
> discussed to some extent which is missing from that list:
>
> 	4) Use an existing IMAP based groupware storage format

At the moment, the storage format in use is iCalendar, being stored as
RFC5322 messages.  We can certainly discuss this further, but I'd like
to keep this thread centered on where to store the data instead of how
to store the data.

> Otherwise your issue will be to get companies to actually look at providing
> support for this if you're planning to bring this to the professional level,
> because there is no shortage of groupware options right now.

There are several CalDAV clients out there (Apple's iCal, Mozilla
Lightning, the IOS Calendar app, Android CalDAV app to name a few).  I
personally favor supporting open standards where possible, but again,
this is something we can open up in a separate thread to discuss further.

> We'd definitely be interested in working together to make this happen.

We'll take you up on any offer to provide development assistance!  I
created a CalDAV component in bugzilla earlier today and Ken will be
populating that with known bugs and missing features later this evening.

Thanks!

Dave