Cyrus CalDAV design decision

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Tue Aug 23 14:54:49 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 23 August 2011 14.44:46 Dave McMurtrie wrote:
> At a high level, here are the different ideas we've discussed:

There is actually one additional possibility that has been suggested and
discussed to some extent which is missing from that list:

	4) Use an existing IMAP based groupware storage format

	That would be the IMAP based XML storage format of Kolab.

	The obvious advantage would be that you'd get a webclient for free,
	and our new webclient based on Roundcube is close to done, as well
	as ActiveSync integration, which is already part of the 2.3.X server
	series and some other things, e.g. native client access through KDE
	Kontact on various platforms, and now also GNOME Evolution, even
	some level of integration into Microsoft Outlook.

	It also has all the issues of folder sharing and so on and so forth
	worked out for a very long time by now.

That way instead of a standalone CalDav functionality that would only know
CalDav and be unsupported by pretty much everything else until people get
around to implementing it, you immediately hook into the widest base for
groupware with an existing ecosystem incuding corporate level support.

Otherwise your issue will be to get companies to actually look at providing
support for this if you're planning to bring this to the professional level,
because there is no shortage of groupware options right now.

We'd definitely be interested in working together to make this happen.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve