Cyrus IMAPd packages in Debian

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 22 04:56:35 EDT 2010

Bron Gondwana wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> I've been pointed at this:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-cyrus-imapd-debian-devel/2010-
> August/003427.html
>
> One of the things I'm trying to do with Cyrus 2.4 is
> making the upgrade process easier.
>
> I've already made one change that will help enormously.
> On startup, the command "ctl_cyrusdb -r" is always run
> before starting any other commands.  I've made it open
> every configured database file and check the magic
> number to determine what type the file is, then convert
> if the configuration says it should be a different type.
>
> I'm currently looking into automating BDB file upgrade,
> so you can link a newer Cyrus against a newer version
> of the Berkeley libraries and have a clean upgrade
> path.
>
> If there's anything else we can do to make packaging
> new versions of Cyrus easier for you, let me know!
> We run Cyrus on Debian ourselves at FastMail, so we
> care about it being good there :)

In addition, I might add, Kolab Systems also has a great stake in the wellfare
of the Debian Cyrus packages. We do have some type of alterior motivation as
well, in the interest of full disclosure; we will want to keep as much
consistency between platforms as possible, for support and documentation
(downstream as well as upstream) efforts.

You can find some of that work (which I called kolab-cyrus-imapd as to not
conflict with work we may be doing on the actual cyrus-imapd packaging), here;

  http://git.kolabsys.com/apt/kolab-cyrus-imapd/log/?h=work/cross-platform-
consistency

Kind regards,

--