Wiki, information on database back ends.

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 15 15:19:46 EDT 2010

Dan White wrote:
> The current imapd.conf hints at the available data types for each cyrus
> database. Depending on the option, the following database types are
> available (in 2.3.16):
>
> (...snip...)
>
> I don't know why the (rpm) upgrade script chose skiplist as an
> intermediate format, rather than flat. Perhaps skiplist hasn't changed much
> between major versions, and offers a speed benefit.

Actually the RPM packages patch up lib/imapoptions to default to skiplist for
all databases. The script choosing skiplist as the default format to convert
databases to is nothing but a choice that makes a default export/import much
faster because the script does not actually have to export/import (it merely
has to detect/determine/compare/continue).

> As far as skiplist, that seems to be a proprietary format.
>
> skiplist: ?

http://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/tree/lib/cyrusdb_skiplist.c is the
implementation of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_list inspired by
ftp://ftp.cs.umd.edu/pub/skipLists/skiplists.pdf.

I fail to see how exactly this could lead to the conclusion it may be
proprietary software.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen