Bugzilla cleanup

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Oct 12 08:34:02 EDT 2010

Hi there,

I have formulated a plan of attack for a big bugzilla cleanup!

There may be a couple of assumptions in here, so please bear with me;

= Expired/obsolete/unsupported legacy versions =

As you can see right now in logging a new bug, the list of versions you can
log a bug against lists a lot of minor.teeny versions in the 2.1 series.

Assuming that the 2.1 series is unsupported by this time, ...

BTW by saying "unsupported" I mean unsupported by the upstream project, which
is something different then what any individual, organization, distribution,
with or without a commercial interest, whom/that may or may not also be
participating in the upstream project, may or may not still support. This is
purely from the perspective of the upstream *project*.

..., So assuming that the 2.1 series is unsupported, I want to do two things
to the bugs logged against versions in the 2.1 series;

1) Change the version to "2.1.x" by mass-updating all bugs logged against a
2.1 series version, so that all 2.1.something versions can be removed from the
list of versions.

2) Close the bugs that are not RESOLVED or CLOSED by mass-updating them,
providing some text saying that either the bug must be reproducible in a
currently supported version, or the reporter somehow proves to us its
commitment in getting the issue resolved (insert a link to the wiki page on
"ways to contribute").

Now, you've read 'mass-updating' twice; One of them I think is rather
insignificant (2.1.x version update) - I'll need to disable sending out
notifications during that mass-updating or it'd just be a lot of spam.

The other update though (bugs not closed / resolved) updating them, I would
need to send out notifications for (mind you can disable all email
notifications in the user preferences), so a number of you (the developers)
might have a bunch of email coming in during such mass-updating... which is
why I'm discussing this here on the list first.

Maybe we want to set a time/date on these actions, so that any one of you can
temporary set your personal preference to not bother you as much with email
notifications?

Please let me know what you think!

Kind regards,

--