Patches not taken up by upstream

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 16 12:49:22 EDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 06:36 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:

>> ~/imap/imapparse.c
>> line 53:
>> -    MAXLITERAL = INT_MAX / 20
>> +    MAXLITERAL = INT_MAX / 10
 >
> Hmm - and still untouched in my latest codebase too.  We've got a
> configurable maximum line length now.
>
> That's basically what - 100M, changed up to 200M?  Or am I out by an order
> of magnitude or so?  Maximum size for a single email.
>
> I'd be happy to apply it (and also to replication...) - I don't see the
> danger with either option, but it will block super-large emails.

Wouldn't the len*10 here:
        len = len*10 + c - '0';
             if (len > MAXLITERAL || len < 0) {

imply that it's actually changing a 10.7MB max size to 21.4MB?

In any case, since most people use email as a defacto file sharing
system, this should be a run-time option, if possible.  On my postfix
server at work we had message_size_limit set to 50MB (or something like
this) and my own spouse got burned by this when some consultant tried to
email her a large attachment containing some work-related videos.  I got
the "so and so says he's trying to send me some files and the message
keeps bouncing" call, which is how I discovered the message_size_limit
setting in main.cf in the first place.

So, eventually MAXLITERAL should also be configurable, if possible, but
for now we can probably let the debian *2 size limit patch stand?

moving on then to patch #65....