Patches not taken up by upstream

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 15 19:36:06 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 02:34:15PM -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> On 06/14/2010 09:46 PM, Wesley Craig wrote:
> >Seems like a reasonable suggestion.  Where was it reported, exactly?
> >

> These are patches from an experimental Debian build which can be found here:
>
> https://mail.incase.de/svn/cyrus22/branches/cyrus23/cyrus-imapd-2.3-hmh/
>
> These package builds have been languishing for years as no one in
> the Debian cyrus-devel group currently has time to work on them.
> Previously, they were stalled because of concerns about how to
> migrate people automatically from 2.1.x and 2.2.x.
>
> Because of all this cyrus is being abandoned by people using
> debian/Ubuntu.  After a month of testing (I use both cyrus and
> dovecot on different servers), I've determined that cyrus is still a
> better solution than dovecot in many situations and have taken on
> the task of trying to get these packages up to production quality
> for distribution.  One of the tasks is going through dozens of
> patches (some involving security issues) which have been around for
> years.
>
> Right now I'm scratching my head over this one, as both these values
> seem kind of arbitrary:
>
> ~/imap/imapparse.c
> line 53:
> -    MAXLITERAL = INT_MAX / 20
> +    MAXLITERAL = INT_MAX / 10

Yeah - that's odd...

Hmm - and still untouched in my latest codebase too.  We've got a
configurable maximum line length now.

That's basically what - 100M, changed up to 200M?  Or am I out by an order
of magnitude or so?  Maximum size for a single email.

I'd be happy to apply it (and also to replication...) - I don't see the
danger with either option, but it will block super-large emails.