HEAD and branch swap?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Mon Jan 11 08:46:22 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 00:04 -0500, Matt Selsky wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 7:09 PM, Dave McMurtrie wrote:
> > Jeff, Ken and I have been discussing this recently.  The way we
> currently have things (the cvs repository, the wiki, the website and
> bugzilla) set up makes it inherently difficult for us to allow
> external contributors to work on the Cyrus project.  At the very
> least, it requires the creation of a CMU account which is becoming
> more difficult to do for us.
> > We thought about setting up a dedicated Cyrus development host that
> is completely separate from our normal infrastructure.  On this host
> we would run a git/cvs repository, the wiki, bugzilla and the website.
> We would just create local accounts on the host to allow for external
> contributors.
> > This frees us from needing to provide a full CMU account for folks,
> and it also frees us from the machine maintenance software we run in
> our environment that makes it difficult to do things like throw up a
> git installation.
> Would it make any sense to use SourceForge/Berlios/Github/etc so we
> can off-load some of the system administration work of maintaining a
> stand-alone host?

+1;  some 'big' projects [such as JBoss! That's pretty big and
'corporate'] manage to use SourceForge, it would seem something like
Cyrus could.  They support SVN, Hg, Git, etc... version control systems.

Don't want to overstep my 'mere user' role,  but I'd be happier as a
Cyrus user if the project wasn't locked up inside some organization that
could (a) just loose interest in the project or (b) get sold / go out of
business.

Sourceforge has recently updated all their services and are
better/faster than before [I know a much of SF developers];  I've been
really impressed with the little bit of their services I use.

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @
<http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/whitemice/wmogag/file_view>