Selection of most fitting partition/backend upon account creation

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Dec 16 03:43:50 EST 2010

Quoting Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm>:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 03:31:00PM +0100, Michael Menge wrote:
>> I would like to see this included in the official cyrus.
>>
>> It would be nice if the space reserved by quota could be
>> taken into account.
>
> Oooh... interesting.  Yes, that does make sense.  I don't
> know about you, but we over-supply quota by heaps.

Yes, i think this is common, so the "not reserved" disk
space can get negative. And the code must be able to hanlde
this, and the case where the "not reserved" disk space is 0.

> We
> have a "balancing task" that watches for servers filling
> up and moves users automagically behind the scenes.
>
> We use sync_move, which I'm planning to write into Cyrus
> for the future as well - where it uses the replication
> engine rather than the evil XFER :)  Much saner, and it
> means you can sync everything FIRST and then just
> replicate the diff once you actually shut down the
> mailbox, so the downtime is much shorter.

Very nice

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen