Changing message filename convention

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 16 17:50:15 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:07:37AM -0600, Jeff wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 07:34:18AM +1100, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> >> There's no guarantee I've got them all, and they're totally untested,
> >> but here's a couple of patches.  I'm planning to apply the first one
> >> (once it's tested obviously) but not necessarily the second one!
> >> Putting all the filename creating logic in one place is sane for sure.
> >

> > Here's a less broken version of that patch - at least it compiles!
> >
> > ALSO - grep the sources for "skip non-message files".  There might
> > be other places too, but that's two of them.
>
> Wow. Above and beyond the call of duty. I'm glad I could be a catalyst
> for common sense in the source code. I wan't to change as little as
> possible on our mail servers running an older version, but the patches
> give me a good strong push in the right direction even though I can't
> apply them directly. Curiously, the latest cyrus-imapd has many more
> hard-coded file name instances that 2.2.12

You'll find a lot of that is related to the replication code - but
yes, there's plenty of stuff that's ripe for refactoring in there!

Interestingly, the API definition in mailbox.h already existed, but
there was no implementation yet - so I wrote an implementation :)
I'll do a bunch more testing and just checking that this makes sense,
then roll it back into Cyrus once it's run on the FastMail servers for
a bit for testing.  It's always good to tidy code up when you get chance.

I've found at least one other bug just by reading through the code as
well, so I'll push that fix back too!