Incorrect size calculations on bogus messages

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Sat Jun 27 21:47:42 EDT 2009

At Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:35:30 +0200, "Gerd v. Egidy" <lists at egidy.de> wrote:
Subject: Re: Incorrect size calculations on bogus messages

> if your mailer daemon has already accepted the mail but lmtp rejects it, you
> have to create a bounce message. When the message is spam you'll usually get a
> faked sender address and have problems delivering the bounce. I've been
> creating all kinds of solutions to get rid of such bounces.
>
> So please don't add another case where lmtp rejects a message without at the
> same time creating a filter for the mailer daemon which uses exactly the same
> criteria for rejection. The filter could be created for the milter interface
> and thus work for sendmail and postfix.

Seconded, and agreed 10^100 fold and more.

Never EVER put policy rejections in the LDA -- only ever in the MTA.

Backscatter attacks, be they purposeful or "accidental", are never fun.
Unfortunately they are an ongoing reality for all to many sites.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>      Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>