FastMail.FM cyrus patches for review

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 28 15:43:23 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 08:41:01AM -0500, Dave McMurtrie wrote:
> Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > Here are all the FastMail patches that I think are candidates
> > for upstream.
> >
> > I've love feedback and/or code review on them.  They're all in
> > production on our servers now.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the CVS import/export stuff for git is remarkably
> > less nice to use than the equivalent SVN stuff, so I'm actually
> > tracking a slightly older CVS than current.
> >
> > So - CMU people.  Any plan to replace your aging CVS install with
> > something modern?
>
> Our primary goal is always focused on providing the best possible e-mail
> service to the CMU community, so if replacing CVS makes Ken's job easier
> or makes it easier for outside folks to contribute to the Cyrus code
> base we'd be behind it.

Fair enough.

> I know you've been using git and seem to be pleased with it.  Is there
> anything else you have in mind?

I like git, but seriously, for a code base the size of Cyrus I'd be
happy with any of the modern distributed VCSes, or even just Subversion.

Subversion, for all that it's sort of "end of line" has all the features
required (atomic commits in particular) for other tools to interface
with it.  It's become sort of a lowest common denominator.

(as an example, I track DJabberd's SVN using git, and FastMail's own
internal SVN using git as well!)

> Ken ultimately outvotes me in this decision since he's the primary
> in-house user of the Cyrus CVS repository.  If changing it makes him
> unhappy, that would make me unhappy, too :)

Yeah, sounds fair.  I'm happy with just about anything (except no source
control at all... man that's unfun), but CVS is pretty much the worst of
what's out there these days.  It's not something that really stresses me
whatever way it goes.

Bron ( so, is anyone going to comment on the actual patches? ;)