PLAIN authentication in Cyrus IMAPd

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Mon Dec 21 10:21:34 EST 2009

Dear list!

I am using Cyrus IMAPd 2.2.13 on Debian Lenny. I tried to configure my
IMAPd to allow PLAIN authentication, even over non-encrypted
connections. (This is a pure Intranet deployment and I understand the risk.)

Despite setting the appropriate options in imapd.conf, i.e.:

sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_minimum_layer: 0

the server just refuses to announce PLAIN as an authentication mechanism.

I am using auxprop with the libldapdb module, not saslauthd!

I have found another thread saying that the binary needs to be compiled
with the

--enable-plain

option; otherwise the support for PLAIN auth would just be disabled for
security reasons.

I have tried that, but also, no luck.

What do I need to do to get an imapd which will allow PLAIN authentication?

Regards,
Torsten