New IMAP capability for advertising support for shared Seen state (was Re: "Cyrus IMAP4" to "Cyrus IMAP" accidental change of greeting?)

Alexey Melnikov alexey.melnikov at isode.com
Mon Apr 20 14:04:49 EDT 2009

Martin Konold wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 12. April 2009 10:44:03 schrieb Alexey Melnikov:
>
>Hi,

>>>question. It is not feasable to try to set the annotation on a  test
>>>folder for each connection IMO. So best would be if there would be a
>>>SHAREDSEEN or so capability.
>>>

>>I would support standardizing of such IMAP capability.
>>

>Technically it would be required to test with every mailbox not only with each
>connection. E.g. there are sometimes reasons why the shared seen is only
>available for some namespaces.
>
>IMHO probing each mailbox or each namesapce is not an option and would pervert
>the efficiency of IMAP especially over high latency low bandwidth links.

No, I had something else in mind - return this capability if at least
one mailbox is known to support shared seen state.
This might benefit other IMAP servers more, e.g. if a server is known to
only support shared seen state, or always support shared seen state for
a particular mailbox.

>On the other hand capabilities should not be expanded without good reasons.
>
>What about a server provided GETANNOTATION answer?

Regards,
Alexey

--
IETF Application Area Director, <http://www.ietf.org/IESGmems.html>