"Cyrus IMAP4" to "Cyrus IMAP" accidental change of greeting?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 3 05:07:08 EDT 2009

Am Donnerstag, 2. April 2009 23:51:14 schrieb Ken Murchison:
> We could add a X-SHAREDSEEN capability, letting clients know that the
> server has the functionality,

I think this would be the best way to do it,
because client can determine most easily if the server will honor a setting.

> but its still a per-mailbox option.

Yes, I knew, sorry for being unclear on this and thanks a lot for the
explanations.

> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 1. April 2009 13:46:16 schrieb Ken Murchison:
> >> I don't recall if this change was intentional or accidental,
> >
> > Okay, I just wanted to point it out.
> >
> >> but I  wouldn't recommend trying to use any free-form banner information
> >> to determine a server's capability.  In fact, some Cyrus servers might
> >> not even include "Cyrus" in the banner if folks turn the "serverinfo"
> >> option off.
> >
> > I know this is suboptimal, but still some clients might still do it.

Let me add, that I believe that some intrusion detection systems
or security version scanner will bark on such a change in the free-form banner
just because it is a change. So I would possibly revert it to IMAP4 again
(assuming that most people will not yet have gotten to 2.3.12 or 2.3.13 which
both have "IMAP".) Otherwise it has been in there in two versions so this
software would just bark until fixed.