"Cyrus IMAP4" to "Cyrus IMAP" accidental change of greeting?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 2 17:56:24 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 04:58:11PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 1. April 2009 13:46:16 schrieb Ken Murchison:
> > Check for ANNOTATEMORE in the CAPABILITIES
> > GETANNOTATION <mboxname> "/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/sharedseen" "value"
> >
> > If you get an empty response, then no shared seen state.  Otherwise, the
> > value will tell you if its enabled on the given mailbox.
>
> This would answer the wrong question, we want to detect if the server is able
> to run in shared seen state. if it does we can offer a configuration option,
> otherwise we do not.

That's what Ken said... by using GET (not SET) ANNOTATION you can see if
the server supports that annotation.  You don't need to change the
value, just see if it will display it for you.

> I do not know if there is a different test method that could answer this
> question. It is not feasable to try to set the annotation on a  test folder
> for each connection IMO. So best would be if there would be a SHAREDSEEN
> or so capability.

Except that's not standard at all.  You could probably get away with
just checking the annotation on INBOX - if it exists then it's
reasonable to assume all the subfolders have it as well (you can
always return an error if/when the actual setting fails in that case)

Regards,