Death by a thousand config items

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 30 08:48:51 EDT 2008

I admit, I'm partially at fault here.  I just posted
a patch creating yet another config switch, with the
usual tradeoff:

option (a) is better technically, whatever
option (b) is backwards compatible

I try, whenever doing this, to make (b) the default
so it doesn't break a zillion shmucks when they or
their distro upgrade to a shiny new stable Cyrus.

Unfortunately, over time, this means that the best
options for a _new_ cyrus installation include an
ever longer list of required options, just to avoid
the backwards compatibility cruft.

Oh the humanity.

I don't think there's anything we can do about this
right now, but I would like to plant the seed of the
idea in people's minds that we should flip the
defaults on a whole bunch of these options when 2.4
is ready to go stable.

This will have to be a very widely documented fact,
and we'll advise packagers of the software to ship
default configs that are backwards compatible if
they have to - or if their format supports it,
automatically add the correct lines to the config -
but things like a saner sort order for mailboxes.db
do have to switch over some time!

There's my random thought for the evening.