Problem with skiplist

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 11 19:00:16 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 02:57:32PM -0700, Paul Fisher wrote:
> Bron Gondwana wrote:
>>
>> You really, really want a new version of cyrusdb_skiplist.c!  I
>> recommend the attached one.  It's 2.3.12 plus the patches that will
>> go into 2.3.13.
>
> On a somewhat related note, we're planning to upgrade our production
> Cyrus cluster tomorrow evening from 2.3.7 to 2.3.12p2 with a handful
> of patches.  While skiplist has been mostly good to us in 2.3.7, we
> had been planning to apply the following skiplist patches:
>
>     cyrus-skiplist-locking-rework-2.3.12.diff
>     cyrus-skiplist-safeunlock-2.3.12.diff
>
> The code attached to your most recent message includes
> "cyrus-skiplist-tuning-2.3.10.diff", which had not previously been
> mentioned as an upstream candidate for 2.3.13, as well as a change to
> "struct txn" to add "*next_txn" (and related code) that doesn't appear
> to be part of the current set of FastMail patches or CVSHEAD.
>
> Could you expand a bit on what skiplist code you're planning to push
> upstream for 2.3.13?

Oops - you're right!  I'll repost with that taken out.  I must have
pushed the entire quilt series by mistake rather than just the patches
that are going upstream...  so much for doing stuff late at night.

I haven't updated the FastMail patches website yet - the new patch
in there is the nested-transactions, which isn't heavily tested yet.

That said - the one I posted is stable as well, we're running it in
production with all those patches - but what I'm pushing for 2.3.13
is just those two patches you mentioned above.  Here's a copy of
cyrusdb_skiplist.c with just those two.