some cleanups and fixes for Cyrus IMAPd....

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Tue Jul 15 13:32:11 EDT 2008

At Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:54:30 +1000, Bron Gondwana wrote:
Subject: Re: some cleanups and fixes for Cyrus IMAPd....

> One thing I find very helpful at FastMail doing similar things is to
> follow the Linux kernel approach to this sort of patch - factor your
> changes into discrete "fixes" that you can apply in order, but each
> of which is reviewable as a discrete unit.

That's simply not possible when using anonymous CVS (alone) to track and
merge sources from another repository.

Perhaps if the Cyrus project were to switch over to use Mercurial (or
one of the other lesser distributed version control systems such as git
or bitkeeper or whatever) then this would be (or have been) possible.

However at this point for someone such as myself it would still mean a
whole lot of grunt work to re-factor the patch, work I just don't have
the time or funding to do on my own.

> Obviously, some changes may depend on other changes, but often it means
> that your patches can be "cherry-picked" to apply the obvious fixes
> without needing to accept everything at once.

Anyone can re-factor my patch on their own if they so choose.  :-)

I wish I had the time and funding to do it myself, but at this point I
don't even have a working environment and systems in place that would
allow me to mirror the CVS repo into Mercurial and provide properly
discrete change sets.

> Other than that - no comments on the patch set (yet) - it's a big
> read all in one blob!

That's not what I'd call a big patch -- it's rather small in my
experience.  I was though quite surprised when the mailing list held it
for moderator approval because it was over 40KB!  :-)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>