[2.3.11] sync_client bug: Starting MASTER imap-server can be delayed for 1000s if SLAVE is down.

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 15 05:55:13 EST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:54:17 +0300, "Boris Lytochkin" <boris.lytochkin at e-port.ru> said:
> Bron, look at my 1). I know about -o option :)
> As I can see from source code, main idea in do_daemon() function is to
> fork a child process that will connect to replica and do all jobs
> needed. So connecting to replica in main() for rolling replication is not
> right.

I quite agree, but it at least lets the services on master start.  We use a separate
monitor script to start up the sync_client again later if needed.

I wrote a reasonably long thing on how I'd like it to be here:

http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/cyrus-devel/2007-October/000525.html

Anyway, your ideas look good, though I do like to have control on starting
and stopping sync_client because sometimes we want to bring up replicas and
know they won't be hammered until we're ready.  I'm almost tempted to take
sync_client out of master's control completely and just manage the start
and stop of sync_client entirely with our external scripts.

  brong at fastmail.fm