got bogus offset

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 3 18:10:57 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 05:34:53PM +0000, David Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
>
>> alpen mail2/cyr_expire[21626]: IOERROR: reading cache record for
>> mydomain.be!user.my^user: got bogus offset 1851880828 for 2/0; try
>> reconstruct
>>
>> If I look at the user his mailbox I see .NEW files.
>
> That's because cyr_expire blew up halfway through rewriting the file.
>
>> I'm going to run reconstruct now.
>>
>> More interesting is, why do I get the error.  If somebody can help me
>> debug it, I would appreciate it.
>
> sync_server used to break cyrus.expunge files if new messages appeared in
> the middle of a mailbox: fixed in CVS on 4/10/2007.
>
> "reconstruct -k" still breaks cyrus.expunge files unless you apply the
> patch I sent in last week. I used that reconstruct on 50500 master and
> 50500 replica accounts over the Christmas break, so it's had a fair test.
> No one has moaned that I've thrown all their email away yet...

I also ran up a small "reconstruct test suite" which confirmed the bad
behaviour on the old reconstruct and the correct behaviour on the new
one.

We've been running that patch for a couple of days no with no issues -
I backported it to apply directly on top of 2.3.11 here:

http://cyrus.brong.fastmail.fm/patches/dcarter-reconstruct-rewrite-2.3.11.diff