2.2.13 authentication problems?

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Fri Aug 15 17:23:58 EDT 2008

On 15 Aug 2008, at 15:54, Michael Loftis wrote:
> Can you point me to any code lines so maybe I can start looking?
> Might be it's just not causing a core dump in my version but it's
> still causing auth issues "somehow".

The bug I'm thinking of was introduced in 2.3, so it won't be the
same.  But looking over imap/backend.c is probably worth the effort.
You can also introduce some logging, if you don't want to bother with
SSL decryption.

>> "allowplaintext: yes" doesn't work for you?  I never ran 2.1, and
>> haven't
>> run 2.2 in years, so maybe that option is newer....
>
> Nope, never did as far as I know.  It'll allow PLAIN but *ONLY* in
> conjunction with TLS or SSL.  Otherwise it won't present the
> mechanism and will refuse it if tried.  It *WILL* work with IMAP
> LOGIN or POP3 USER+PASS commands w/o TLS/SSL though.  W/o that
> PLAIN won't be accepted at all. Atleast this is the behavior I've
> observed in 2.2 and 2.1.

Hm, you might try examining the SASL secprops, of both the client
(proxyd) and the server (the backend).

:wes