Cyrus patches, cyrus patches. Get yer Cyrus patches here

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Tue Sep 11 04:36:35 EDT 2007

Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 02:38:07PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> A lot of the patches (past and present) have been implemented.  Some of the
>> others will be implemented in time.  Others may not.
>>

> Some of them are still waiting for me to finish polishing them as well!
> In particular the pcreposix patch.
>
> Some of the others, like SIGQUIT support (still doesn't close down IDLE
> connections at the moment...) we're still working at convincing Ken that
> they're the right approach.  We'll be keeping them up-to-date with the
> latest release, so people can always grab them if they want to be "beta
> testers" of a new feature.
>
> Bigger things like statuscache, hashuser, commandtimer, folder limit -
> they're at least protected by config options - but imapd.conf is already
> getting pretty big for a basic sane setup.

In my opinion a lot of configuration settings are very usefull and give
users and system administrator much more flexiblity. Only look at the
postfix software:
mail-it-srv1:~# postconf  | wc -l
421

421 configurations parameters available and still it's the best SMTP
software ever.

The good of postfix is that when someone has a need, within few months
the specific features are getting committed to the main sources and the
project grow in functionalities and flexibility.

This is just my point of view about the feature enrichments of open
source softwares. As soon as useful patches arrive, just give them a
polished and the push it into the official sources.

I am following the Kolab project that's plenty of patches and now,
slowly, are getting committed to the various opensource projects. If all
patches was committed the first day a lot of more users could had the
chance to use Kolab in a production environment with their own linux
distributions.

I am not going to make a flame nor a trolling, just give my opinion on
the external patches support importance in the opensource development model.

Regards,

Fabio Pietrosanti