index.c API

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 31 09:55:28 EDT 2007

First Pass: get rid of the macros in index.h

It appears that I really can't do ANYTHING while there are a bunch
of macros which need a few variables set and then go do random
reads directly into memory.  This is also an issue for crc32 checks
before accessing index records later, which is why I chose this
route.

NOTE - this patch isn't tested at all beyond compiling again, it's
very much a work in progress.  It's just an idea of how much is
impacted.

NOTE2 - this patch is highly inefficient in places.  I'm intending
to deal with that by passing the record pointer around where
appropriate rather than just the msgno and fetching the record
again - but I figured it was best to break this up into clear
stages rather than combine it all.