Cyrus 2.3.10 RC3

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 22 06:51:20 EDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:44:40 +0100 (BST), "David Carter" <dpc22 at cam.ac.uk> said:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
> > Annoyingly, it means that I'll have to add 8 bytes to each index record
> > because of alignment issues (ho hum - or maybe store the crc32 of the
> > cache record here too, stranger things have been suggested.
>
> I like this idea.
>
> cache_version already lives in the index file when it logically belongs
> in
> the cache file (I imagine for simple upgrades of existing mailstores).
>
> > Indeed, this means not having to add anything to the cache format at
> > all.  I'm liking it already!)
>
> It might not hurt to have a extra copy of the CRC in the cache file, but
> let's not make things unduely complicated for ourselves.

Yeah - I'm actually quite happy for cache files to be totally slaved to the
index file.  The index file is the primary meta data, and the RFC822 file
on disk is the primary "data" data.  The cache is purely a derived value
of those two primary sources, and should never need to be considered in
isolation.  With a CRC in the index then you can do a basic integrity check
against the index file and a very thorough integrity check against the
original message file :)

  brong at fastmail.fm