A couple of goodies

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 16 04:09:15 EDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>  But this doesn't really help with sub-folders, and I guess you are
> talking about rotation of sent-mail folder on the first of the month?

Monthly rotation is what Wes was worried about.

> But sub-folders could be handled the same way.

Mailbox means subfolder, at least inside Cyrus.

The mboxlist_* and mailbox_* subroutines all only manipulate single
subfolders. Things like recursive renames happen at a higher level.

> The mailbox db could link a mailbox name to an id, so nothing has to be
> changed in the filesystem when a rename is performed.

I tend to agree. The obvious implementation would be a mapping from
mailbox name to (really) Unique identifier in the mboxlist. Then a mailbox
rename would only involve an update to the mboxlist.

However:

1) This would be a very major change.

2) Compatibility with existing mailstores would be a problem.

3) The mboxlist can be reconstructed from the layout on the
    filesystem + the cyrus.header files.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.