A couple of goodies

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 14 10:14:14 EDT 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:04:12 +0100 (BST), "David Carter" <dpc22 at cam.ac.uk> said:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
> > The fast rename patch doesn't handle split-meta at all by my reading,
> > which is a reason it can't work as-is in our configuration.
>
> Here's an updated version which does split-meta (including renames to and
> from partitions which have split-meta). Also handles multiple quota roots
> correctly, which I had made a complete hash of first time around:
>
> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/patches/2.3.8/fast_rename.patch

Great, thanks for that.  I'll take a look tomorrow when I'm awake (just gone
midnight now)

> > Much better is if it's logged somewhere that the system reads on startup
> > and finishes the action - that's heaps more robust.  Harder to write
> > initially, but a whole lot better for safety.
>
> I'm going to leave this part as an exercise for the reader as it has
> never
> been an issue on our systems. I understand that someone with an order or
> two of magnitude more users might have a different view of the situation.

Yes, rather.  It's just a pain to have to clean _anything_ up by hand.  Much
prefer to have to the tool understand what it was doing and clean up after
itself!

> > cyr_dbtool (in 2.3.8) can do it:
>
> cyr_dbtool doesn't appear to be documented.

Good point.  I think someone submitted a man page for it (not me) at some
point, but I should get off my arse and make sure there's enough documentation
since I wrote the thing in the first place!

Bron ( also need to document the SIGQUIT patch and cyr_synclog and submit them
       for 2.3.10.  I'd rather see 2.3.9 come out with an incremental improvement
       than throw more things into the mix which might hold it back! )
  brong at fastmail.fm