A couple of goodies

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 14 03:04:12 EDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> The fast rename patch doesn't handle split-meta at all by my reading,
> which is a reason it can't work as-is in our configuration.

Here's an updated version which does split-meta (including renames to and
from partitions which have split-meta). Also handles multiple quota roots
correctly, which I had made a complete hash of first time around:

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/patches/2.3.8/fast_rename.patch

> Much better is if it's logged somewhere that the system reads on startup
> and finishes the action - that's heaps more robust.  Harder to write
> initially, but a whole lot better for safety.

I'm going to leave this part as an exercise for the reader as it has never
been an issue on our systems. I understand that someone with an order or
two of magnitude more users might have a different view of the situation.

> cyr_dbtool (in 2.3.8) can do it:

cyr_dbtool doesn't appear to be documented.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.