Delivering to a non-existent folder

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Thu Feb 16 18:47:50 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 20:17 +0000, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Rob Gormley wrote:
> >Forgive the question of someone just jumping into the Cyrus code for the
> >first time. Basically what I need to do is this: we have a setup where
> >we have a Pending folder that some mail is flagged to be delivered to -
> >in some instances that folder doesn't exist, and Cyrus is dropping it
> >into the inbox. However, for our requirements, we'd rather that the
> >message delivery failed and this was logged.
>
> From your message it sounds like you are using Sieve, right?
> I am afraid there is currently no way in Sieve to test if a destination
> mailbox exists. (However if such Sieve extension is written, it wouldn't
> be difficult to implement)

there is no action in Sieve to specifically fail either, although there
is "reject".  sending a bounce to the sender is probably not what's
wanted, though.

I think it is better to change what Cyrus does with the folder Sieve
returns.  it would be nice if the action to take when the destination
folder is missing could be specified as one of:

  * return permanent failure
  * use INBOX (permanent failure if INBOX _is_ the destination)
  * create folder

actually, this could be done as a Sieve extension, too.
--
Kjetil T.