cyrus moving mails with a MUA

Andreas Winkelmann ml at awinkelmann.de
Thu Dec 14 05:23:06 EST 2006

Am Thursday 14 December 2006 08:11 schrieb Peter Hamtal:

> > Hmm, why do you want to change the Permissions in the Cyrus-Imapd Spool?
>
> I´m running amavis on the mailserver and need to change the permission,
> so that the amavis user can run sa-learn on the folder SPAM to update
> its bayes.db.
> Im  putting not recognized SPAM to that folder.
> Amavis is running through a cronjob sa-learn on the SPAM folder and
> though update the bayes database.
>
> The bayes database is in the amavis home-Folder: /var/amavis/.spamassassin/
> with permission 600; user: amavis, group: amavis.

I've configured the Bayes-DB (local.cf) in /var/lib/spamassassin/. Amavis is
there able to do the needed.

sa-learn runs in a Cron-Job as root, so that it can read the Mails and update
the DB. You can run it as cyrus, too. But it must be able to write to the
Bayes-DB.

There is an age-limit in the SPAM-Folder, so Cyrus deletes the Mails itself
after the given time.

> amavis is in the group mail
> /etc/group:
> mail::12:mail,cyrus,postfix,amavis
>
> the cyrus imap folders are set to following user and group:
> user: amavis
> group: mail
>
> Well i could run:
> sa-learn --dbpath  /var/amavis/.spamassassin/ --spam
> /var/spool/imap/xxx/user/xxx/SPAM/*.
>
> Is it a security risk to set the Cyrus-Imap folders permission to 650 ?

Hmm, not really, but I think this is a too big change.

--
	Andreas