alice-teacher Alice 3 and Netbeans "root directory not set" error

Edward Pratowski epratowski at newhopeacademy.net
Fri Feb 2 14:20:29 EST 2018

Someone, Please Help!
I can't figure out how to correct this weird error. The only relevant post
I found was on the Alice Teachers' forum more than three years ago.
This is the error:

*"System property: org.alice.ide.rootDirectory is not set. Alice will
not work until this is addressed."*

I get it when I try to open a jar that I created in Netbeans.

Here is what does work:

I can create a runnable jar from my own code in Netbeans.

I can run that jar on any system.

I can create a project in Alice 3.

I can save that project.

I did successfully download and install the Alice plugin for Netbeans.

I did double-check the versions of my JDK, my Alice plugin, and
Netbeans. They all seem compatible.

[maybe there are more details about these versions that I need to check?]

I can import my Alice 3 project into Netbeans and run it.

I can create a runnable jar from that project.

* Here is the problem:

When I click on the runnable jar made from the Alice project, I get
this error "...rootDirectory is not set..."

I checked every setting I could think of and everything seems to match
the (reputable) directions I have found online.

So I don't know what to do. Please Help!

This is the last part of a great project I have that I will share with
all Alice users and Java developers, but I have to solve this first.

-Ed

Edward Pratowski
epratowski at NewHopeAcademy.net