alice-teacher Alice 3.x

Donald Slater djslater107 at mac.com
Sun Mar 19 11:34:13 EDT 2017

Full disclosure: I am the co-author of a textbook for Alice 3 that has just been released by Pearson: Prentice Hall - Alice 3 to Java

	https://www.pearsonhighered.com/program/Dann-Alice-3-to-Java-Learning-Creative-Programming-through-Storytelling-and-Gaming/PGM117446.html <https://www.pearsonhighered.com/program/Dann-Alice-3-to-Java-Learning-Creative-Programming-through-Storytelling-and-Gaming/PGM117446.html>

From the Preface to the book:

We understand that instructors will use this text to implement and support curriculum and objectives that meet the needs and requirements of students in their own specific educational institutions. In other words, we expect instructors will use the textbook in many different ways. Nonetheless, the following provides a short description of the target population and courses we taught, and others we envisioned, as this book was written.

In a semester-long course for introductory programming. At the high school level, this course may be a general course or a pre-AP Computer Science (Java) course. At the college/university level, this course may include non-majors as well as pre-majors who need additional preparation prior to enrolling in a rigorous CS1 course...

In a semester-long course for introductory programming for non-majors, with an interdisciplinary focus. The programming examples presented in this text have a storytelling and animation context that is well suited to courses with an interdisciplinary focus…

As a primary component in the AP Computer Science Principles course. This book encompasses the span of computational thinking practices: connecting computing, creating computational artifacts, abstracting, analyzing problems and artifacts, communicating, and collaborating. The animation problem-solving context exemplifies most of the big ideas in the CS Principles curriculum, including creativity, abstraction, algorithms, and programming.

As a kick-start to an AP Computer Science (Java) course. Alice 3 can be displayed in Java mode, and Alice 3 projects can be imported into NetBeans, a Java IDE...

Please let me know if you have any questions…